Hi DCD followers!!!
I have some news for you – we are hosting our I Need You To Survive event this coming Saturday from 9am-3pm at 330 Park Ave in Cranston.
For this event, we bus in homeless and low-income women and provide them lunch along with free head-to-toe makeovers. Take a look at my post from April for some more information: https://ridreamcenterblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/free-makeovers-2/
We are looking for volunteers to assist. If you, or someone you might know, might be looking to help out, please contact Gilannie Pangburn by sending her an email at email@example.com (attn Gilannie/INU2S) or call her at 781-1565. Don’t worry – you don’t have to be an expert or have a ton of experience in health/beauty care to help out! Every little bit helps! Please let me know if you have any questions at all! Thanks!!!
While you’re at it, check out November`s post as well: https://ridreamcenterblog.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/the-amazing-month-of-november-2014/
Have a great day!
Hello, thanks for checking in with the Dream Center Diaries!
I trust you are having an amazing Thanksgiving, and I can promise you that we at the RI Dream Center are having a great Thanksgiving as well!!! We have just witnessed the biggest month in our history!
So, without further adieu, let’s kick things off with details on the 8th Annual Hope for the Homeless Event.
Hope for the Homeless
November 8th: 8th Annual Hope for the Homeless Event – we bussed the homeless over to Praise Tabernacle Church in Cranston, fed them a delicious meal donated by Texas Roadhouse, and linked them up with over 20 Service Providers. We have been putting this event on yearly in recognition of National Homeless Awareness Week, and this event has grown each year. Here are the direct care providers that set up tables with us:
- Sojourner House
- Teen Challenge
- RI Coalition for the Homeless
- Neighborhood Health Plan of RI
- RI Legal Services
- Community Care Alliance
- RI Dream Center Overcomers Meeting
- Neville Bedford, Esq.
- Galilee Mission for Fisherman
- Warwick House of Hope
- The Providence Center
- Blessing Way Sober House
- The Discovery House United Health Care Community Plan
- Veteran’s Inc.
- CrossRoads RI
- Rhode Island Housing
Besides hooking up our homeless with these great service providers and providing them with a great meal, we enjoyed great concert by Praise Tabernacle’s Youth Redefined Band.
The Dream Center also took the time to recognize the following individuals/organizations who have gone above and beyond this year helping us out:
Ed Brady –Winner of the Bob Pangborn Award – this award is given to a person who quietly, and without needing to be in the forefront, helps so many people. Ed’s organizations provide annual summertime barbecues and Thanksgiving dinners for hundreds of homeless! He also donates backpacks and supplies each year for our annual drive. Ed is a restaurateur and owner of The Thirsty Beaver & Vanity Supper Club. Thanks for all your support, Ed Brady!
Steve Marocco – Winner of the Jimmy B Award, given to that person who, without complaint or question, asks what is needed and makes it happen (we call this “find a need and fill it”). The president of the RIDC Board let me know that Steve donates so much to us throughout the year that it would take up 3 pages to list everything. However beyond that, he also connects us with others who help us out tremendously! Food, Clothes, Back Packs, Toiletries, Money, Time, Custom Tee Shirts, Custom Sweatshirts, and on and on!! Steve owns and operates Elmwood Sports in Cranston, RI. Thanks for all your help this year, Steve Marocco!
Overcomers Program – The Georgie Award is given to the RI Dream Center Program that has brought about the most change in peoples’ lives. This support group combines a traditional 12-step program with an added layer of a personal faith, and it has helped many people deal with issues they have been struggling with. This award was given to June Pangburn who runs this program. June is an amazing leader and friend to all those that frequent the meeting, and there have been many testimonials of individuals who can attest to her support. Keep up the great work, June Pangburn!
We’ve also got to thank all the volunteers who helped out this year, whether it was planning and organizing or helping during the event (or both)!!! You are appreciated sooooooooooo much!!!
And, of course, Texas Roadhouse in Cranston – who provided an amazing spread!!! Thank you guys!!!
Click on any of the pics on this post for a full-size view….
As you know by now, we work hard all year to collect donations for our backpacks, and this year the results were phenomenal. Between our Providence, West Warwick and South County drop-off sites, we handed out 450 backpacks stuffed with winter essentials. Through your generous support, we were able to raise funds and supplies for 400 of those backpacks, and generous donors provided an additional 50 backpacks already stocked with winter goodies. Thanks so much to all of our volunteers and donors! (special shout-out goes to Fidelity Team Silver for your continued support in this endeavor!)
November 11th: Filling the Backpacks – we had over 20 volunteers come to the building to stuff the backpacks – the volunteers were as diverse as the individuals that would ultimately receive them. Our helpers that night included members of Praise Tabernacle Church, members of the homeless community that had received backpacks in the past, employees of Fidelity Investments, and students from Masters Regional Academy’s National Honor Society. I have been involved with the stuffing of the backpacks for years, and I have never seen them filled this efficiently. We are getting much better at this – this night was the fastest we ever stuffed the backpacks – it used to take us two days but this year we filled them in one hour!!! Great job, team!
November 15th: Passing the backpacks out – we passed the backpacks out on November 15th on the RI State House lawn and provided bagged lunches, hot coffee and free clothes along with them! I am hoping to upload a video soon, but in the meantime make sure you check out the pictures below. My last pic is quite touching…someone donated a Justin Bieber backpack, and it just happened to go to this sweet lil princess….it totally made her day….it totally broke my heart seeing her out there….this exactly what our organization is all about….
November 23rd: Thanksgiving Dinner – Ed Brady’s Team put on a phenomenal Thanksgiving Event for the homeless and financially poor this year. Partnering with Praise Tabernacle Church, it was the fifth year Ed Brady’s team sponsored the event, and it has grown larger and larger each year. I remember in years past, where we barely had room to feed 100 people. This year though – besides feeding hundreds of homeless delicious turkey dinners, the team also brought care packs (filled with toiletries), coats, shoes and all manner of clothes for our guests to take home. If that wasn’t enough, the team also had barbers and stylists onsite providing free haircuts for men and women while they were waiting in line for their food. It truly was an amazing experience to be a part of. I am so proud of Ed and his team and can’t wait to see what next year holds!!!
It’s been a crazy busy month so far, but there is much more we are looking forward to! We couldn’t have done it without your support, and we thank you so much.
Thank you to all the supporters of the RI Dream Center Hope for the Homeless Winter Survival Backpack Sponsors!!!!
If that’s not a mouthful, I don’t know what is!!!
Here’s the scoop, for those of you that don’t know what’s up – every year we hand out 300 free backpacks to the homeless filled with winter survival supplies. Yeah, it’s expensive, and yeah, it’s a lot of work….but it is soooooooo worth it!!!
To get it done, we rely on friends and family of the RI Dream Center for support. One of the main fundraisers is the Walkathon. Another way we raise support is simply by asking for supplies, and year after year I am totally amazed by the outstanding efforts of ordinary, everyday citizens of our community that help provide supplies for our backpacks.
Ok, so let’s set the table – here’s what we hand out:
Other helpful items are hand sanitizer, alcohol free mouthwash, toilet paper and feminine hygiene products.
As you can see, it’s a lot – just multiply that list by 300!!!!
We have already started receiving some donations, but if you would like to help us out by donating any of the above necessities it would be great! If you would like to donate anything, leave a comment below and we will figure out the best way to connect!
So, here are the dates I promised:
HFH Walkathon – October 11th at the PT Church Parking Lot at 8:30 am
Filling of the Backpacks – November 11th at PT Church at 6:00 pm until…..whenever we’re done!
Backpack Hand Outs – November 15th State House Lawn at 7:00 am
If you would like to help out with ANYTHING you have read about in this post, please let me know and we will put you in contact with someone running each of these events!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this blog!!!
Mark your Calendars – we have A LOT going on in the next few months:
- HFH Walkathon: Saturday, October 11th starting at the PT Church Parking Lot – 8:30 am
- HFH Homelessness Event: Saturday, November 8th @ PT Church – 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Filling of the Backpacks: Tuesday, November 11th @ PT Church – 6:00 pm until…..
- Back Pack Hand-Outs: Saturday, November 15th @ State House Lawn – 7:00 am
They are all interrelated – I will have much more detail for you soon…hope this whets your appetite!!!!
Hey! Thanks for checking in! We received the following email update from the folks who passed out food and clothes to the homeless Downcity this morning:
We had a very Blessed day in the Lord at KP today.
We were able to pass out coats and clothing, socks, toiletries and lunches etc. Lidia brought clothing and homemade cookies Barbara brought coats and clothing as well. and many were so blessed to have received the much needed items and also the coffee that Chuck and George always faithfully provide as well as all the sandwiches that every one of you provide for them. we ran out of food pretty quickly tho… many hungry among us today. So surprised to see many new faces so sad really to see more and more homeless on the streets of Providence. many looked lost and seemed in weakened condition… maybe from an illness, a cold, or the flu, or maybe just weary from struggling to survive out here in the cold and brutal weather.
There was such an unsettling spirit there today many just seemed restless, irritable and, I don’t know just difficult in some ways.
We love them anyway on good days and bad… .when they are on their best behavior or not.. who can blame them what do they have really? many have even lost their hope. ..Just difficult to see and witness. we pray with them and offer encouragement as best we can, we tell them we love them and share with them God’s love for them.
It must be a very difficult time of year for them, so many have only the clothes on their backs . how hard it must be for them knowing they have nothing to give to their loved ones family and friends. and many have no family to love on them and share the joy of Christmas with….no one to share…no one to care.
The sadness in their faces says it all and it is heart wrenching to witness. We offer and are able to provide these little bits of comfort for the day. Only wish we had the means to erase all the pain and provide homes jobs, family restorations, and so much more, We leave them there and promise to pray for a better life for them. It is so hard to leave them , and go home….. your mind and heart repeatedly reminding you of the sadness of their plight.
Please keep them all in your prayers God is able to turn things around for all of them and I know that if my heart breaks how much more our God for He loves and cares ever much more than we can even imagine, for he is their heavenly Father.
Didn’t get too many prayer requests today…. so busy… and the hustle and bustle is sometimes overwhelming and just difficult to get everyone to share whats on their heart. but we pray for each and every one and God knows all their needs.
Here are they prayer requests the homeless had for us today:
- Michael thanks God for everything!
- Ray needs pray for his kids family and friends
- Wayne has cancer of the lung and has just found that he has heart problems as well
- Allen He is there every week, needs so much
- Kevin Housing and all his needs
- Brian asked for prayer for all the people in New Town
- Lilly Andrews Her children
- Girl in the pink coat so very distraught this morning
- Katherine a beautiful woman said she needs a home ,lives at the shelter
- Gary Brooks 3 months clean and sober… Praise God! wants prayer to quit smoking
- Steven Head problems…. his wife gave us this prayer request speaks broken english so it was hard to understand her but able to get that she needed us to pray for healing for his problems in his head
- Darnell So grateful for all the much-needed items that you all donated and gave to Sharon for his apartment
- Ken God knows
- Julia her children, finances etc
- Jason Clean and sober 16 months now. He was on a news segment a few days ago sharing his story of how 16 months ago he was in the hospital in a coma and almost died as he was a victim of taking/buying that new drug on the street that looks like oxycodone but is like 100 times more potent and many have died right here in RI from this drug. This drug is still circulating and being sold to many homeless and addicted individuals who do not know the dangers of it. jason said he will be on the news again on a special program but I cant remember what one. anyway he will share his story. He said that he is people to survive after taking it
- Frances Comes to pt faithfully and helps us every week at KP he has many needs as well. protects and brings things under control when needed.
- Judy Walking/limping with a cane… needs healing in her leg
- Carl God Knows
- Bernard and Lois God knows
- Jack God Knows
- Gary said he’s broke and his check was delayed in the mail. concerned because he borrowed $20 from a friend and wants to pay him back asap
- Raymond Healing, finances and family
- Gloria finances, family
- Helen her children, finances
- Richard God knows….. He is a great guy loves the Lord and helps us and protects us and helps to provide a calming spirit to those who are restless.
Prayer for all our homeless:
- Addictions to be broken
- healing for all in need of physical ailments, disease or afflictions of any kind
- restoration and reuniting of families and healing of hurts
- Housing for the homeless
- Financial blessings to those that need
- Jobs for the unemployed
- Joy and happiness for the downtrodden
- Hope renewed for all those who have lost it and can’t find their way back
- Abundant Blessings to all of you who provide so much and pray for our precious family at KP
- comfort for grieving hearts
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Please let me know if you would like to donate. This team needs help with sandwiches, drinks, snacks and hot coffee…they are out there every single Saturday of the year – rain or shine, warm or cold…or, let me know if you’d like to volunteer…
Ok, so we are in the midst of a Winter Weather Advisory right now here in Rhode Island, and I just stumbled upon the following post on one of our volunteer’s Facebook pages. Take a look at what Sharon and Lidia shared today:
One of our great volunteers, Ginny, sent me an email this morning providing me with the following update on today’s happenings with Early Seekers down at Kennedy Plaza. They are down there (and at Crossroads) every single Saturday morning handing out clothes and bagged-lunches to the homeless as they are getting off the buses (most shelters close early in the morning and the homeless have nowhere to go but the bus station). The Food Truck gets a lot of publicity, but the Early Seekers are the very essence of RI Dream Center. I hope you enjoy her update as much as I do:
We had the honor of having Bob Ekno with us this morning. He brought Clothing to pass out. He is the host of a Christian talk show In California which gives all beautiful testimonies of how God turned peoples’ lives around. He is also the author Of the book “God bless America before it is too Late.” He Also works with the homeless in Calif. He is up here visiting his family and plans on coming to PT tomorrow also. He was so touched with all we do at Kennedy Plaza . the food truck etc . Even though it was a whooping 14 degrees out , he stayed the whole time, It must have been extra cold for him as he came from much warmer climate. God bless him.
We had the honor of Christina & Randy helping on the food truck this morning. God Bless you
We passed out many bags of clothing and shoes and blankets and many lunches as well and People were so thankful.
Here are some of thing things we are thankful for…
A man we gave some clothing to, we gave him a canvas bag to put his clothing in and then we noticed that the top of the bag was torn, so I said oh wait a minute that bag is ripped We will get you another bag, we have a lot more.
He Insisted that the bag we gave him was fine he said see I just fold it over like this, save the other bags for someone else, This is good. I said God bless you he said no God bless all of you I am just so thankful for the clothing and al you do. Wow! How many of us might be hot under the collar if someone gave us a torn bag? Talk about being thankful!!!!! Beautiful people with thankful hearts. ( Brings tears to your eyes)
John a homeless man gave me $2:00 and said I want to make a donation, this is so awesome all you do here. I want to help out he said. I said God bless you, He said no God Bless all of you. ( brings tears to you eyes)
A homeless Lady came to us and said I have a whole bunch of cloth ,canvas and sturdy bags with handles on them for you to give to people to carry their clothes in. I said oh that is so very nice of you God bless you, She said No God bless all of you for the awesome work you do here. (It brings tears to your eyes) how they want to be a part of Giving and how thankful they are.
Ken: My sister Jan had bought some backpacks and supplies with her own money to give to anyone who did not get one and really needed one. Last week Ken said I don’t have anything and Jan said I will bring you a backpack with supplies in it. So she Gave it to him and he was so thankful. He opened it and found the bag of toiletries in it and came running back with the bag of toiletries in his hands and said oh my God I need these so much, I can’t thank you enough. He was also thrilled with the hat scarf gloves other supplies and the backpack. Praise God. And God bless Jan For his and all the others she gave out. They were so thankful also.
Many People were so hungry they ate their sandwiches as soon as we gave them to them and because it was the first of the month and there were not as many people there we had extra sandwiches and we gave some of them another Sandwich and they ate that second sandwich right away and said i was so hungry Thank you so very much
Many People said that they went to Praise Tabernacle on thanksgiving day for the Thanksgiving Dinner they served, They all said what an awesome dinner and that the people at that church were so warm and loving and they want to come to our church. LOVE Speaks once again!!!!!!
A special thank you Veronica, Barbara Sista, (Ginny Tom’s aunt) and Jan also the other Jan for the lovely things you donated and (Susan Jan’s daughter) for all the lovely shoes and sneakers and To Paul Jan’s brother- in – law for the beautiful leather all the jackets, hats scarfs and gloves and to all of you and your friends, coworkers and relatives Who donated clothing Etc, All went and they were so thankful . You really blessed them. God bless you. Also thanks again for your Prayers Lunch and all you do. God bless you all.
Some of the people we serve ask us to pray for them…see below:
- Sharon will have surgery on Dec 2, 2013 on her elbow ,please keep her in prayer for peace, Her surgery and a speedy recovery.
- Liz Brenda’s mother Please continue to keep her in pray for peace and a speedy recovery for completely healing and That she can swallow . please pray for Brenda as well
- Tracy please keep her and her family in prayer
- Brandon God knows
- Joseph Guilmette Cancer healing miracle
- John cancer of the lung healing miracle
- Gracie Cancer healing miracle
- Scott please continue to keep him in prayer for healing Blood clots
- Jordan God knows
- Maria healing back pain & For her family
- Barbara Needs many miracles in her family
- Robert miracle deliverance
- Bobby Healing of back pain
- Car miracle deliverance
- C miracle deliverance
- Maria healing miracle deliverance
- Brian God knows
- Christina God knows
- Paul God knows
- Hilda & Gary God knows
- Lidia & her family
- K Job & God knows
- Linda Inner healing & salvation
- Ronnie in Jail and his wife and 3 babies
- Ron complete healing
- Randy God knows
- Ken healing of his back
- Anthony finances
- Bobby finances and healing of his foot
- S&G God knows
- Kara that she gets he surgery soon and the outcome is great
- J&T God knows
- Barbara different Barbara Her & Family God knows
- Ron & Cindy on the trail for God’s protection and provision and for all they witness to.
- Billy Healing depression
- Willy his needs
- William Salvation for him & family
- Jeff God knows
- David & family God knows
- George God knows
- David Homeless sleeps out in the freezing cold
- Brian a miracle deliverance
- David needs surgery
- John his needs
- Richard God knows
- Anna every thing goes well this week
- Lenny needs Jeans size 34
- Ray family & friends Mom
- Lisa stay bright and beautiful
- George job change it to better, wants to go to school
- Elisa Family , Masa, HNA, Esteba
- Francis great week
- Estell Vega family, niece, Gunilaughil, Juan, Husband Dominigo
- Walter his needs
- Raymond healing cancer
- Andy special week
- Kenny Thanks for back pack< pray for him as he goes to court
- Nancy self
- Eugene his needs
- Lauren has stitches in her head, Her x boy friend beat her up , pray for her healing and protection , she was in the hospital in conn. and she was in a coma , she almost died
- Jose pray everything continues to go well with court & judge, so far it has worked out, he says praise God
- Brian family to stay safe
- Gary his needs
- Brian the good Bad & the ugly and girlfriends & daughters, He needs a cane
- Francis Service men & women to come home safe
- Needs a queen bedspread or comforter and blanket, And Back pack
- Willie double prayer
- Joafuir Health
- Robert His kids
- Marie Pray for her and her children
- Terrance Housing application in
- Heather Her boyfriend Jerry Got denied 5x for ssi and he is mentally disable, Because he had drugs in his back ground but has been clean for 2 years
- Jose Heart, self
- George his needs
- Mike have a good day
- Lousie Housing
- Ken peace in the world and a better year needs 2x flannel underware
- Adrian Hurey his needs
- L& R God knows
- Ron God knows
- Chris God knows
- G finances
- Bob God knows
- Morales Hunez His needs
- All the homeless
- Pastor’s & their family
- Church family and their family
- all who bless this ministry
- All ministries
- All who are sick
- Addictions to be broken
Thank you and love & prayers from the Homeless & the Early Seekers.
God bless and have a great week